HISTORY OF THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE CASTLE
The rocky cliff just behind the castle has some caves which have certainly been used for living, first of all as troglodytic habitations and then probably as a fortified village or “castrum”. A rampart situated between the cliff and the ravine had been constructed in order to protect the castle from the west and the “Causse” (plateau). On the west side of the site we could find a well, a church and also some other fortifications.
The donjon (keep) was built in the XIIth century, close to the rampart in order to reinforce the defences. Pentagonal and 30 meters high (about 98 feet), it was unfortunately destroyed during the French Revolution. The XIIIth century saw the construction of another tower, rectangular this time, close to the well which was used to defend the castle from the valley.
At the end of the XIVth century, a lord, Pierre DE LA ROQUE, decided the construction of the huge artillery tower where the actual entry of the castle is situated. At the beginning this building was more than 30 meters high.
Around 1457, the LA ROQUE family decided the construction of the main building which is actually used for living. Nowadays it is the only part of the castle which has a roof and which is still higher than 30 meters.
The lower court, made at the same period, permitted to join all the buildings of the castle (the different towers). Moreover, it permitted an easier the passageway to the stables.
The top of the XIIIth and XIVth century towers was transformed into a terrace, or hanging garden, under Louis XIVth, by the lord DUJOLS after the destruction of the higher parts of the towers.
During the French Revolution, some damage has been sustained. In particular interior decoration and the upper part of the keep were destroyed.
Between 1834 and 1840, Charles DUFAU sold his goods to different buyers.
In 1924, Jean AUTESSERRE, from Figeac, succeeded in acquiring the totality of the castle, by buying first of all the upper part of the castle – which has been used as a school, a town hall and a flat for the teachers – and later the lower part which was possessed by the FAREL’s family. The restoration began soon after.